Sunday, March 30

Gluten Free French Bread




So Sunday's are my baking days and I wanted to try something new for bread. I'm so excited about this recipe, it turned out so amazing! This didn't have an off taste or reminded you of eating gluten free. The other great thing about this recipe is, it only takes an hour to make. Yes you heard me right...it's easy, yummy and ready in an hour!! One thing that happened to me the first time I made this recipe, my yeast wasn't as powerful as I thought. So the loaves turned out on the smaller side. It also helps to putting it in a cold oven, while it heats up for the rising of the dough. I do recommend forming the dough into long skinny logs. The second time I baked this recipe... I had new yeast and oh boy did it rise! But I didn't make the longer skinny logs of dough, so it puffed up kind of crazy. I will be adding new pictures soon, to show the follow through process. Still getting used to getting my camera out for my baking and cooking.

I did have to buy a special pan to bake this recipe, but for was worth the small amount I paid for it. You can buy the pan here at Amazon. Hope you enjoy this amazing bread as much as I did! I would love to hear from any of you trying this out or post some pics in the comments. It's exciting to have such wonderful bread in our gluten free world.



Gluten Free French Bread
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • 1 cup sorghum flour (you could substitute for gf oat flour or millet flour)
  • 1 1/2 cups potato starch
  • 1/2 cup tapioca starch/flour
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
  • 1 tablespoon sugar (I use coconut sugar)
  • 2 teaspoons xanthan gum
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons instant or bread machine yeast
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 3 large egg whites
  • 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
  • 1 cup warm water (105 - 115 degrees)




  • 1 cup sorghum flour
  • 1½ cup potato starch
  • ½ cup tapioca starch or flour
  • 1½ teaspoon salt
  • 1 Tablespoon sugar
  • 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
  • 1 teaspoon guar gum (or xanthan)
  • 1½ Tablespoons instant or bread machine yeast
  • 1 Tablespoon olive oil
  • 3 large egg whites
  • 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
  • 1 cup warm water (105 – 115 degrees)
  • - See more at: http://glutenfreehomemaker.com/gluten-free-french-bread-recipe/?utm_content=buffer2e01b&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer#sthash.nD01xLK6.dpuf
    Directions:

    1. In the bowl of your mixer, combine the dry ingredients (flour through yeast)
    2. Add olive oil and egg whites, and mix to incorporate
    3. Add the vinegar and most of the water. Beat for 2 minutes, adding the remaining water if needed to make a soft dough.
    4. Spoon the dough onto the pan and carefully shape with a spatula. Because the dough is soft, it will go through the small holes in the pan. Don't press hard when shaping.
    5. If you like, you can brush the top with beaten egg white. Or you can wait till the end of baking and brush on melted butter.
    6. Use a sharp knife to cut several slits in the top of each loaf. 
    7. Place the pan in a cold oven on the middle rack. Turn the oven on to 425 degrees and begin timing for 30 - 35 minutes.
    8. Cool the loaves on a wire wrack before slicing.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment